Friday, February 20, 2009

Cover Letter Tutorial

Although I found some of the information in this tutorial surprising, I did agree with most of the information it gave. Most of the hints it gave were pretty straight-forward and were things that we have already talked about in class, like to make sure you do research on the company and make the cover letter personal to the business you will be sending it to. I was surprised when the tutorial said that it is appropriate to include a "P.S." in the cover letter. I was surprised because this seems a little informal and seemed like it was only there to brag about certain characteristics or skills that one holds, which I thought was supposed to be left up to the resume. I was also surprised to hear that most employers only look at the cover letter if they are interested in the resume. I thought the purpose of the cover letter was to be an introduction to the resume, but clearly this is not the case.

I found the sample cover letters to be the most helpful tool while looking at this tutorial. Sometimes it is easiest to look at an example to fully understand what a cover letter is supposed to look like, and this was certainly the case for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment